On May 11th, Her Majesty The Queen unveiled the UK's commitment to building back better, greener and safer from the pandemic, as she officially reopened Parliament.
As we gradually and carefully relax COVID-19 restrictions, made possible through our world-class vaccination programme, it is vital that we look ahead and fulfil the promises that we have made to the British people from the start. This includes supporting the nation’s recovery; uniting and levelling up the country; fighting crime; and spreading opportunity for businesses and families to build brighter futures.
In the next session of Parliament, the Government will be introducing the following bills:
- Skills and Post-16 Education and Professional Qualifications Bills
- Legislation will support a lifetime skill guarantee to enable flexible access to high quality education and training throughout people’s lives
- Subsidy Control Bill
- Measures to ensure that support for businesses reflects the UK’s strategic interests and drives economic growth
- Planning Bill and Leasehold Reform Bills
- Laws to modernise the planning system so that more homes can be built
- Building Safety Bill
- Regulating the safety of high-rise buildings and inspecting construction sites to ensure that the tragedies of the past are never repeated
- Environment Bill and Animal Welfare Bill
- Investments in new green industries to create jobs, while protecting the environment, and legislation to ban the export of live animals for fattening and slaughter
- Online Safety Bill
- A draft online safety bill will contain new requirements on tech giants to tackle harmful and illegal content online to ensure that the internet is safe for all, especially young people.
- Advanced Research and Invention Agency Bill
- A new UK agency will be set up to search for ground-breaking scientific discoveries
- Police, Crime, Sentencing and Counts Bill
- Legislation will increase sentences for the most serious and violent offences and ensure the timely administration of justice
- Product Security and Telecommunications Infrastructure Bill
- Proposals will be taken forward to extend 5G coverage and gigabit capable broadband
- Health and Care Bill and NHS Catch Up and Recovery Plan
- Legislation to empower the NHS to innovate and embrace technology, and deliver more tailored and preventative care to patients
Click here to read the speech in full: Queen's Speech 2021 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)